Monday 30 November 2009

Goodbye Africa

Well...after 5 months I have come to the end of my great African adventure. I have had such an amazing time and have well and truly fallen in love with the beautiful landscapes, sunsets, sunrises, animals and most of all people that make this continent so special. But am ready to move on, and really looking forward to seeing lots of friens - old and new - in Australia.



My trip has ended in Johannesburg, where I've spent the last few days trying to recpover from a stomach bug that knocked me for six over the past week. A few of us on the overland trip suffered from it, I think we drank some contaminated water at one of the places we stayed. After writing my last blog we drove up through the beautiful Mountain Kingdom of Lesotho which is famed for its Basotho ponies, blankets and stunnning scenery. I went pony trekking which was a lot of fun and we stayed at the famous Malealea Lodge. On leaving Lesotho we drove north to the Drakensburg Mountains. There I did a 25km hike along a gorge to the 2nd highest waterfall in the world. It was a beautiful walk but I wasn't yet feeling 100% and the sun was very very hot so unfortunately it set me back a few days in my recovery... from the Drakensburgs we drove up to Johannesburg. The weather in this area has been incredible - massive thunder storms with dramatic lightening. The place we're staying has a picture window overlooking the city which is pretty cool. I haven't ventured into central Johannesburg, partly because of the horrific statistics we've all heard about the murder and mugging rates, but mainly because I just want to rest! I did of course go to the Apartheid Museum. I have just finished reading Nelson Mandela's 'Long Walk to Freedom' so was interested to find more out about Apartheid. I must confess, before coming to South Africa my knowledge of the subject was very limited. I won't bore you with it here but needless to say I felt very humbled.

Next time I write I will be on the other side of the world!

No comments: